Saturday, February 23, 2008

For the Record

As I am 1/2 Irish and use alcohol responsibly, I take offense to many of the slogans, like "Drink yourself green", used to promote Unofficial St. Patrick's Day, as well as the "holiday" itself. I'm on record elsewhere saying that it's all kinds of stupid, mostly because St. Patrick's Day rarely if ever falls during Spring Break.

Oh, and I take offense to the Fighting Irish too, if any Chief supporters feel like throwing that strawman argument out.

Anyhow, I'm lucky that where I work is a rather unlikely place to see intrusion by drunken students. Others may not be so fortunate.

2 comments:

rknil said...

I keep waiting for the University and the cities to grow a pair and put a stop to this stuff.

I don't even really care about the drunkenness, as long as people are sensible enough to stay off the roads, either as driver or pedestrian. The dumb part is the need to be public about it.

The Squire said...

The problem is that Unofficial is put on by a local businessman and, as a private enterprise, the university can't do anything about it. Short of closing down all liquor sales the week of Unofficial, the city can't do much either.